What should artists expect during EnPleinAirTEXAS Competitions?
Here's a basic overview.
We change up events every year to keep EnPleinAirTEXAS fresh
and to make it the best it can be. Check this page for updates
- Artist Applications: Competition Artists are selected through a jury process. The 2022 Juror is Michael Grauer of Oklahoma City, OK. Applications for this year are now closed. Artists may apply for next year's competition on this website beginning Jan. 1, 2023 for a $40 application fee, completing the form, and sending 3 plein air painting jpgs of their work.
- 2022 Competition Artist Announcement: Artists were announced June 2, 2022 at "The Envelope, Please" event in San Angelo. CLICK HERE to see this year's artists.
- Artist Host Homes: Artists are contacted mid-summer and matched with hosts for their stay during the event.
- Event Begins: Artists should plan to arrive Friday, Oct. 21st, going directly to their assigned ranch hosts and may begin painting. Monday, Oct. 24th artists will meet their in-town hosts and finish out the week in San Angelo. A detailed Orientation Packet will be emailed ahead of time.
- Painting Sites: Artists spend the first 3 1/2 days living and painting on private ranches in the West Texas area near San Angelo. Several days will be spent in the city itself which offers a variety of historic and cultural sites: an International Waterlily Garden, Fort Concho, and the Concho River running through downtown. Artists will be asked to sign up to paint in at least 2 areas during the in-town paint days so the public can meet and watch the artists.
- Competition Paintings: Friday morning, Oct. 28th, all paintings done during the week of competition will be turned in at the Fort Concho Stables building. They must be framed, and all paperwork completed before checking them in.
Each artist has a 6 foot wide lighted panel to showcase their Competition Paintings, as well as a 3 ft. lighted panel for extra paintings in "The Back Forty" (a ranch term for another field!). Artists may refill as paintings sell and space allows. ALL paintings on their main panel will be eligible for awards.
- Painting & Size Requirements: Maximum painting size is 30"x30", not including the frame. Artists must also submit a small 6"x6" or 6"x8" 'Mini-Pearl of the Concho' painting done during the week. All work must be completed on an EnPleinAirTEXAS 2022 stamped canvas, and produced en plein air, without the assistance of photography or major touch-up.
- JFM FRAMES: Owner Pat McDaniel has been on site since 2016 to deliver pre-orders, help artists with any framing needs and sponsor awards. We are pleased to announce he will be returning in 2022!
- ARTIST DEMONSTRATIONS: After painting turn-in on Friday (Oct. 28) morning, artists have the opportunity to either paint at the International Waterlily Gardens (public and high school student viewing) or do a short demonstration or talk at one of the local elementary or middle schools. This is a highlight of the week for many artists, and certainly for the students! Saturday, Oct. 29th, the 2021 EPAT exhibit is open to the public for free, and artists may have pop-up painting demos during the afternoon.
- The Collectors’ STAMPEDE and Awards Exhibit & Sale, Friday, Oct. 28th: The much-anticipated climax of the event is this ticketed event for Sponsors and friends on the grounds of historic Fort Concho. Celebrate a great week of painting, and meet potential new collectors. Awards will be presented by 2022 Awards Judge Michael Obermeyer of Laguna Beach, CA.
- Painting Sales: The 40% commission on all works sold goes directly to benefit the free educational youth programs of the San Angelo Museum of Fine Arts. Artists should price their work in their normal retail pricing range. We recommend a variety of sizes and price-points. All sales during the week must be handled by representatives of the San Angelo Museum of Fine Arts.
- "MORNING PAINT at the DIA de los MUERTOS event" celebrates our rich Hispanic culture. On Saturday, Oct. 29th, artists will be inspired by the colorful dancers, 'Day of the Dead' altars, Mariachi bands & more! This is a laid-back morning paint-out, is open to all artists. EPAT Artists compete for 4 - $500 Judge's Choice Awards, and area artists will compete for 4 - $250 Judge's Choice Awards. Paintings have a 25% commission to the museum if sold during the event.
- ALL EVENTS involving competition artists are free to the artists; lunch is provided on all painting days and you will not be hungry during the week!
- The Fresh Paint Gallery: Will be open Tuesday & Wednesday during the week and will showcase 2 paintings from each artist of work done on the ranches.
- Commissioned Work as a result of participation in EnPleinAirTEXAS within six months following the event should be sold through the San Angelo Museum of Fine Arts and the 40% commission to be paid to the museum.
- EPAT asks artists to not make any pricing 'deals'. Artists should simply keep the price stated on the original painting labels. This protects the integrity of EnPleinAirTEXAS and respects and protects the professional standing of all the artists.
- The San Angelo Museum of Fine Arts may use images of the work of the Competition Artists for publicity purposes.
APPLICATIONS FOR THE 2023 EnPleinAirTEXAS will open Jan. 1, 2023!
This year's event dates are October 21 - 29, 2022