Basics and Rules for EnPleinAirTEXAS COMPETITION ARTISTS
What should artists expect during EnPleinAirTEXAS Competitions?
Here's a basic overview.
We change up events every year to keep EnPleinAirTEXAS fresh and to make it the best it can be.
Check this page for updates
- Public Exhibit & Artist Demonstrations: After painting turn-in on Friday morning, artists will be asked to either paint at the International Waterlily Gardens (public and student viewing) or do a short demonstration or talk at one of the local elementary schools. Saturday, Oct. 30th, the 2021 EPAT exhibit is open to the public for free, and artists may have pop-up painting demos during the afternoon.
- Attend the Collectors’ STAMPEDE and Awards Exhibit & Sale, Friday, Oct. 29th: Ticketed event for Sponsors and friends. Celebrate a great week of painting, and meet potential new collectors.
- EPAT asks artists to not make any pricing 'deals'. Simply keep the one you stated on your painting labels. This protects the integrity of EnPleinAirTEXAS and respects and protects the professional standing of you and your fellow artists.
- Sales: Price each piece in the range of your normal retail pricing. We recommend a variety of sizes and price-points. The 40% commission on all works sold goes directly to benefit the free educational youth programs of the San Angelo Museum of Fine Arts. All sales during the week must be handled by representatives of the San Angelo Museum of Fine Arts.
- Painting Requirements: Maximum painting size is 30"x30", not including the frame. Artists must also submit a small 6"x6" or 6"x8" 'Mini-Pearl of the Concho' painting done during the week. All work must be completed on an EnPleinAirTEXAS 2021 stamped canvas, and produced en plein air, without the assistance of photography or major touch-up. Each artist will have a 6 foot wide lighted panel to showcase their works, and may refill as paintings sell and space allows.
- The Fresh Paint Gallery: Located at event Headquarters and showcases paintings turned in during the week to buyers and patrons.
- Daily Paint-outs: Artists are invited to paint on several private ranches during the week. They get access to scenery and the ranchers themselves that the normal public never sees. Some amazing paintings and experiences come from this!
- Event Begins: Friday evening, Oct. 22nd, artists may get their canvasses stamped at a rooftop reception at the museum, receive Orientation materials and are then ready to go paint!
- Competition Artists are selected through a jury process. The 2021 Juror is Michael Obermeyer, of Laguna Beach, California. Artists may apply January 1 - June 1, 2021 on this website for a $40 fee and with 3 plein air painting jpegs.
- "MORNING PAINT at the ROPING" is about as authentic West Texas as you can get, and artists paint the variety of action at the San Angelo Fairgrounds. This is a bit laid-back and not a timed paint-out, and has nice awards. These paintings have a 25% commission to the museum if sold during the event.
- Commissioned Work as a result of participation in EnPleinAirTEXAS within six months following the event should be sold through the San Angelo Museum of Fine Arts and the 40% commission to be paid to the museum.
- The San Angelo Museum of Fine Arts may use images of the work of the Competition Artists for publicity purposes.
- Host Family Housing is offered to all competition artists beginning two days before the official start of the event.
- ALL EVENTS involving competition artists are free to the artists; lunch provided on ranch painting days, you will not be hungry during the week!