In the mid-1800’s, Impressionist artists began painting on location, or ‘En Plein Air’ – a French term meaning ‘in the open air’. Prior to the invention of the metal tube in the 1840’s, most landscapes were painted in the artists’ studios as they had no way to store or transport their hand-mixed paints. Impressionism is one of the best-known art movements of the past two centuries. It began to flourish as artists around the world left their studios to study the light and atmosphere in nature and paint on site with their now transportable tubes of paint.
Today artists seek to capture that same intriguing light and shadow outdoors, and gather in ‘plein air’ events across the country, turning ordinary scenes into extraordinary works of art.
What makes EnPleinAirTEXAS different from the other events across the country?
Our surprising and interesting 100 YEAR 'Plein Air' history!
In 1921, in tiny Christoval, just south of San Angelo, local artists founded the Texas Artists Camp which grew to be one of the leading plein air gatherings in the Southwest. Find out more under the "TOUR SAN ANGELO" button.
100 years later, the same inspiration that attracted those early painters when they arrived 'way out west', is alive today. EnPleinAirTEXAS is a legend among the plein air artist community and now in it's 9th year, one of the top 5 plein air competitions in the country, attracting award-winning artists from around the world.
How did this happen?
The prestige and success of EnPleinAirTEXAS comes down to the details. Importantly, the artists are selected and the competition is judged by nationally respected jurors and judges in the field of art. Also important is the fact that the event is run by an accredited nationally awarded museum, The San Angelo Museum of Fine Arts. Awards given by a museum are more highly regarded among all artists. Their paintings are exhibited and are for sale during the final weekend in the Stables Building at Fort Concho, a National Historic Landmark built in 1868 and the original home of the San Angelo Museum of Fine Arts.
From the beginning, volunteers committed to detail and generous community support have allowed us to offer substantial prize money, singular events and access to painting sites found nowhere else in the world. During the week, Artists are invited to historic private ranches to spend the day and PAINT as well as be welcomed by the ranchers themselves with their West Texas Hospitality. In 2018, EnPleinAirTEXAS teamed up with the San Angelo Roping Fiesta to present a one-of-a-kind opportunity for the Competition Artists. Artists may spend the day at the San Angelo Fairgrounds painting the top 30 roping cowboys in the WORLD, along with youth showing their prize goats and lambs at a Junior Livestock Show. The community and visitors alike have embraced the artists, housing them in their homes, and helping sales of artwork to average over $200,000 each of the past seven years. Artists donate back a sizable portion of every sale, supporting the San Angelo Museum of Fine Arts children's education programs.
Enjoy a host of colorful events and special opportunities to meet and interact with the artists! (see the Events tab for updates soon!)
- Visit the International Water Lily Gardens and watch and learn as artists paint on site.
- Exclusive opportunity* to visit a nearby Ranch while the artists are painting on Thursday, Oct. 27. Be transported around in ranch vehicles and watch the day's artwork being created. Limited tickets available, more information soon.
- Local school children are treated to in class visits with the artists.
- Be the first to see and purchase one of the week’s paintings (more than 300) at the Art Collectors STAMPEDE*!
- Come watch the Artists for free at the "MORNING PAINT-OUT at the ROPING" held at the San Angelo Fairgrounds during the 69th Annual San Angelo Roping Fiesta!
- Bring the family to the Stables at Fort Concho and enjoy FREE entry to the exhibit on Saturday, Oct. 29 and visit with the artists. Lots of festivities during the day and always some 'pop-up' painting demos with some of the artists.
- Judge's Talk - a free event at the Stables on Saturday, gives you insight as to the choices of the winning paintings!
*denotes a ticketed event.
EnPleinAirTEXAS is introducing young and old to the natural beauty and historical significance of our West Texas area and culture, as well as giving us a prominent spot in the international plein air movement and showcasing SAN ANGELO as a national arts destination.
A focus of EnPleinAirTEXAS and the San Angelo Museum of Fine Arts is to connect the area's 100 year plein air history with our West Texas community and with artists from around the world, creating an ongoing artistic dialogue that increases the visibility and participation of plein air painting with children, adults, and rural West Texas communities.
For information on how you can become a patron of this amazing event with your tax-deductible donation, click here.