2016 Competition Artists
Talks and Demos Schedule
FRIDAY, OCT 28TH
11 - 12:30 p.m. – First United Methodist Church, 37 East Beauregard
“CHALKING IT UP with an emphasis on ARCHITECTURE in PLEIN AIR!”
Watch as two of the Competition Artists use pastels as a great medium to interpret scenes ‘en plein air’.
- Nancie King Mertz of Chicago, IL
- Ray Hassard of Cincinnati, OH
12 – 1:30 p.m. – Cactus Hotel Lobby, 36 East Twohig
A Plein PASSION for PORTRAITS – demos in oil painting.
- Hiu Lai Chong of Rockville, MD
- Nyle Gordon of Ethel, MO
- JZ Xu of Missouri City, TX
Wander and watch as three of our Competition Artists paint different models at the same time.
DOWN BY THE RIVERSIDE –
12:45 – 2:15 p.m. – meet at Celebration Bridge on the river, or check this week at EPAT Headquarters for more exact directions to these demos in oil painting.
“THE CALLING: Painting Life in America”
- John Lasater of Siloam Springs, AR
- Jason Sacran of Magazine, AR
1:30 - 3 p.m. - on the downtown side of the Concho River at Celebration Bridge (just west of Oakes Street Bridge)
“The Beauty of Painting Crumbling American Infrastructure”
- Charlie Hunter of Bellows Falls, VT,
- George Van Hook of Cambridge, NY,
2:30 – 4 p.m. – Black Swan Wine Bar, 118 S. Chadbourne
“THE CASE for HEART in ART” – How artists identify what we love, and gain the means and tools to express it! Oil painting demonstration.
- Artist: Mary Pettis of Taylors Falls, MN
Artists are also presenting talks and demos in San Angelo schools this afternoon.
Saturday, Oct 29th
1:30 - 4:00 p.m. – Outside the Commissary & Quartermaster Buildings at Fort Concho, 301 East Avenue C. These and other artists will entertain you with a bit of a western flair!
PORTRAIT OF THE OLD WEST – Watch our Competition Artist paint a portrait taking you back in time.
- Artist: Suzie Baker of Shenandoah, TX, oil.
VISITING VINTAGE ARTISTS of the 1800’s – Watch as artists explore what it might have been like to live and paint back in the early Fort Concho days.
- Lon Brauer of Granite City, IL
- R. Gregory Summers of Overland Park, KS , oil.
HAVING FUN WITH QUICK, BOLD, & LOOSE COLOR in the WILD WEST –
Artist: Hai-Ou Hou of Stevensville, MD, oil.
Sunday, Oct 30th
9:30 - 11 a.m. – Outside the Commissary & Quartermaster Buildings at Fort Concho, 301 East Avenue C. Enjoy some artful entertainment as you enjoy our Chuck Wagon Breakfast with the Artists (tickets must be purchased ahead of time, but you can just come and watch also!)
- John Caggiano of Rockport, MA, oil.
- Chris Leeper of Canfield, OH, oil.
- Stewart White of Baltimore, MD, “Lost & Found Shapes in Landscapes”, watercolor.
11 - 12:30 p.m. – Outside the Commissary and Quartermaster Buildings at Fort Concho, 301 East Avenue C.
- Artist: Awards Judge Marc Hanson of Pontotoc, MS “…A naturalist at heart, the landscape is the perfect vehicle for expressing the joy I have for the world that surrounds me. I’m most successful when I’m able to communicate that joy to the viewers of my paintings.”
1 - 1:45 p.m. – Inside the Quartermaster Building at Fort Concho, 301 East Avenue C
- Talk by Awards Judge Marc Hanson on his choices for the 2016 EnPleinAirTEXAS winning paintings.
Don’t miss seeing the exhibition of the 2016 Competition Paintings in the Commissary & Quartermaster Buildings at Fort Concho:
- Saturday, Oct. 29 - 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Sunday, Oct. 30 - 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
All Talks and Demos by the artists are free and open to the public.